Saturday, August 2, 2008

iRacing Is The New Poor Man's Track Day

When I first heard about iRacing a few years ago I thought it was going to be one of those vaporware products never destined to see the light of day. Between the time it was announced and the time people actually were able to use it was tremendous. But, it is finally here, and it is incredible.

Though not fully released there are a small number of people who have been invited to participate in the online racing league. Yours truly received an invite a few weeks back and there are another round of invites scheduled to hit inboxes Wednesday, August 6th.

I'm so addicted to this simulation so far that I just cannot leave it alone for a full day. The graphics are spectacular, the racing close, the damage very real, and the participants are very friendly and 99% of them won't give you the finger if you give them a slight nudge on Big Bend at Lime Rock Park.

Over the next couple of weeks I will run down the different features of iRacing, from the web-based console to mixing it up with the Legends at Homestead. Until then, check out www.iracing.com and read a bit more about it. I'm off to do some hot laps!

No comments: